Friday 02-March-2012, 21:29
- What is a software upgrade?
Software upgrade provides bug fixes and minor software enhancements and is made available by free download. It also helps in providing new functionality build.
- How is software upgrade executed?
For executing any Software upgrade, the new build will be put on transponder 14 followed by EMM (Entitlement Management Message) trigger. All boxes which are connected automatically will start downloading the software.
- Does software upgrading follow any fixed schedule?
No fixed schedule. Usually scheduled prior to the launch of any new product, functionality etc.
- How long does software take to get downloaded on to the box?
The time taken for downloading depends on the type of box, bandwidth, MPEG 4 HD code, MPEG 2 SD code etc.
- Does different boxes take different amount of time for downloading software?
- Does the software upgrade impact the subscriber during and after download?
During download, subscriber cannot watch any channels. A software downloading screen will appear. Post downloading, the subscribers will be able to use all salient features build in the new software.
- What are the Trouble shooting steps that need to be followed for Software Upgrade issues?
Step 1: Check if software downloading is taking more than 10 minutes to complete.
Step 2: If downloading is taking more than 15 - 20 minutes, reboot the box.
Step 3: Note down at what percentage the downloading is getting struck, for ex: at 0%, 15% or looping i.e., downloading starts from 0% after running for sometime.
Step 4: Repeat rebooting for 2 - 3 times.
Step 5: If problem persists, raise FR for swapping box.