Dish TV vs. Tata Sky HD - DVR Feature Target Audience
- Prospect Team - To handle objectives while Selling
- Inbound/Outbound Team -To handle queries
Dish TV has
introduced DVR functionality in their Zapper box at no additional cost. Tata Sky
too has this feature however we are not promoting this feature as it is of low
quality and not cost effective option as compared to HD DVR STB. In case of
subscriber/customer’s queries, below is scenario handling details. FAQ's-
- Dish TV has recently announced that their Zapper box will support DVR
functionality at no additional cost. What is this functionality?
- This functionality is called DVR Lite
- Concept: Allows subscribers to use the HD zapper box as a DVR (Digital Video
Recorder) by plugging in a USB based flash drive (pen drive/ external hard disk
- The HD zapper box has a USB port
- A USB based flash drive like a pen drive or an external hard disk drive can
be connected to the box to create a hard disk functionality
- The basic DVR features such as record ,rewind, fast forward etc becomes
available on insertion of the flash drive
- To use DVR features,the subscriber will have to buy a DVR remote
- The recording capacity will depend on the capacity of the flash drive as
well as the content that is being recorded (SD/HD)
- Does Tata Sky also support the DVR Lite feature?
- Yes, we also have this feature ready. It will be downloaded on all Kaon HD
Zapper boxes later this month.
In addition to the HD zapper boxes all
existing & new subscribers will require:
an HD DVR remote
and a USB flash drive to be attached to the box. The subscriber can plug
in any existing pen drive/ hard disk drive available at home
Tata Sky Samsung HD zapper STBs will currently not support this
functionality. In case a Samsung HD STB subscriber is very keen to use this
feature we will replace his box by a Kaon box.
- Why is Tata Sky not pushing DVR Lite feature to its customers?
- The DVR Lite is a sub-optimal product for someone who wants to enjoy the
real DVR features. It does not score on both cost effectiveness and
functionality compared to the HD DVR STB.
A comparison table that
enumerates the similarities and differences between the Tata Sky HD PVR and the
DVR lite is enumerated below.
Pause, Record, Rew & FF
Watch one and record another channel
Record two channels simultaneously and playback an old recording
Record SD & HD content
Remote with DVR functionality packaged with box
Video on Demand Functionality
Media storage optimized HDD
500 GB hard disk drive
Approx Rs 3.5k -4k additional
feature is heavily compromised on a DVR Lite because of the following reasons:
- The flash drive has to be always connected to the STB for future recording
to be enabled.
- A normal SD definition hindi movie with advertisements runs for more than 4
hours and needs more than 4 GB of storage space. Thus to download 20 hours
content, the user will need to purchase atleast a 32 GB flash drive that will
cost more than INR 1600 according to current market rates. Appreciable storage
space in the range of 64 GB to 160 GB will be available for more than INR 2500.
- Series based recording: Since the episodes will need to be recorded back to
back ideally a dedicated flash drive will be required. Tremendous coordination
will be required if the same USB drive needs to be plugged in daily at the same
time. To record series a USB drive with a reasonable recording capacity will be
recorded if the subscriber intends to store and playback on a later day in the
- Unlike the HD DVR which has a built-in hard disk supporting infinite no of
program recordings and playbacks (Erase- Write cycles), flash drives support a
limited no. erase write cycles post which they get spoilt. Hence, the flash
drive will be able to handle a limited no. of recordings and playback
- The data stored on the drive can't be read on any other STB or computer
- Our DVR 500GB HDD is optimized to handle media based storage. On the other
hand only few external storage devices are media optimized. The ones that are
optimized are expensive.