JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to see the posts in this forum. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To see the posts, images and links please enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home-made Solar Power 240 Volts AC Inverter for running TV+DTH during power failure
Thursday 05-January-2012, 15:56,
Home-made Solar Power 240 Volts AC Inverter for running TV+DTH during power failure
Hi friends,
In a metro city, there are no power cuts at all except for rare emergencies. But when I am at my native place in South India, often there is routine load-shedding and power outages.

To overcome this problem, I have made an inverter circuit which draws 9.4 volts from 2 Solar Panels and drives a Transformer giving 240 Volts AC power. The direct output from a single solar panel can be used to charge a mobile phone / USB-charging device directly. It has a Nokia-type pin provision too.

This works as long as there is bright sunlight falling on the panels. The output from the inverter is enough for a 40Watts tubelight, a table-fan, a small tv or a laptop. Also if we add one more panel and make few changes in the circuit, a car battery of 12V can be charged and used to drive the transformer to power devices when there is no sunlight.

Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to vinay_kumar for this post:
MJ786, ravi, S.Raman, Viki
Thursday 05-January-2012, 16:40,
RE: Home-made Solar Power 240 Volts AC Inverter for running TV+DTH during power failure
very nice experiment,how much would it cost if i try to make it?
Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ravi for this post:
S.Raman
Thursday 05-January-2012, 16:50,
RE: Home-made Solar Power 240 Volts AC Inverter for running TV+DTH during power failure
(Thursday 05-January-2012, 16:40)ravi Wrote: very nice experiment,how much would it cost if i try to make it?

Hi Ravi,
The Solar Panels cost me Rs2000, Circuit with general board + electronic components cost around Rs200.
9 volts Transformer I removed from old broken Radio at home. Pin-adapters etc I got free with mobile 4 years back.
The above experiment items will be fit into a plastic soap box by me soon Smile

Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to vinay_kumar for this post:
DTHGuide, S.Raman, Viki
Thursday 05-January-2012, 18:06,
Very nice experiment, if we can use it for a light or fan in our house then it will be good.
Thanks to everyone and wish you all the best.
Add Thank You Reply
Thursday 05-January-2012, 18:14,
(Thursday 05-January-2012, 18:06)dthhelp.com Wrote: Very nice experiment, if we can use it for a light or fan in our house then it will be good.

Yes Admin Sir, We can run one 40 watts tubelight or a 50W Ceiling fan or table-fan.

Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to vinay_kumar for this post:
S.Raman
Thursday 05-January-2012, 21:29,
How long it takes for full recharge of the battery? Using what kind of batteries for that much output?
Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to S.Raman for this post:
vinay_kumar
Thursday 05-January-2012, 21:49,
(Thursday 05-January-2012, 21:29)dthhelp.com Wrote: How long it takes for full recharge of the battery? Using what kind of batteries for that much output?
Hi Admin Sir,

It takes around 14 to 16 hours for full charging of the battery.
We can use Sealed Maintenance Free Lead Acid batteries that is Car Battery with sufficient Ampere-Hour(A-H) rating.
So a 6AH battery will work for 6 hours when an appliance of 1A is connected.
We can use Exide or Amaron car battery.

I am using a battery-less version that gives continuous power from 10am to 4pm depending on sunlight.

Add Thank You Reply
S.Raman
Saturday 07-January-2012, 14:14,
Very good information. So if we add few more panels then we can use it like our home invertors?
Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to S.Raman for this post:
vinay_kumar
Saturday 07-January-2012, 15:26,
(Saturday 07-January-2012, 14:14)dthhelp.com Wrote: Very good information. So if we add few more panels then we can use it like our home invertors?
Yes we can add more panels and use it as home Inverter.

Add Thank You Reply
S.Raman
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »