JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to see the posts in this forum. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To see the posts, images and links please enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again.
Videocon to sell its DTH business
  • Welcome to DTHHelp Forum for Indian DTH services.
Hello There, Guest! Login RegisterLogin with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Videocon to sell its DTH business
I came to know from one of my friend, that Videocon is going to sell its DTH business in December or so.

Is this news true.
Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sandy for this post:

yes.. even i heard it.. and i am not sure why are they going to do this.. they are going to show that they are running in losses and going to sell.. i heard this from sun dth and airtel persons.. so no idea why they are saying like this.. if such thing happens then Tatasky might have a big impact as they can easily share that with some logic.
Add Thank You Reply

may be competitors spreading rumors like this? Tatasky is always crying from start that they are running in loss even though they boast they have the highest ARPU and 2nd DTH in number of subscribers. they didnt close till now. so i doubt whether D2H will close so soon.
Add Thank You Reply

why are you bringing Tatasky here? they rock and there is no rumor about them selling.
Add Thank You Reply

anybody confirm?
Add Thank You Reply

Here is the confirm news published in The Economic Times.

Videocon looking to sell stake in unit for $75-$100 million: Sources

MUMBAI: Videocon Industries is looking to sell a 25 per cent stake in its direct-to-home broadcast services business for roughly $75 million to $100 million and is in talks with private equity firms, people with direct knowledge of the matter said.

Potential investors in the unit, branded D2H, include ICICI Venture, the private equity arm of No 2 Indian lender ICICI Bank, sources said. Videocon has hired UBS to find an investor, sources said.

Videocon and ICICI Venture declined to comment. UBS officials could not be reached for immediate comment.

DTH services have been gaining momentum in India due to increasing spending power in an upwardly mobile population. Videocon D2H had launched its operations in 2009. Other operators include Tata-Sky, a joint venture between Tata Group and News Corp, Airtel DTH from Bharti Airtel, Sun Direct from Sun TV and Reliance Big TV from Reliance Communications.

Private equity investment in India is accelerating, as rising borrowing costs and dormant public markets push firms to cut deals with buyout firms in return for much-needed cash injections.

India is flooded with private equity firms looking for investments -- from global buyout shops like Blackstone, 3i Group and KKR, to homegrown firms like IDFC and IFCI.

Indian companies signed private equity deals worth $3.2 billion in the first nine months of 2011, up from nearly $2 billion in the same period last year, according to data from Thomson Reuters.

The deals include India's second-biggest private equity investment of the year, with Apollo Global Management injecting around $500 million in Indian steel pipe maker Welspun group in June.

Shares in Videocon Industries closed up 1.56 per cent at 175.60 rupees in a Mumbai market that closed up 0.46 per cent.
Add Thank You Reply
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Admin for this post:
amatan, S.Raman

They are not wholly selling, they are only selling a part which is too small for a take over.
Add Thank You Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
ThreadAuthorRepliesViewsLast Post
  Breaking News: Bharat Business Channel Limited is now Videocon d2h Limited ravi 0 305 Thursday 03-July-2014, 17:59
Last Post: ravi
  News: Videocon looks to sell DTH biz to rival firms Viki 6 1,044 Friday 06-July-2012, 22:07
Last Post: DTHGuide